Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A country of southeast Central America. The region was inhabited by a variety of Indian peoples when Columbus landed on its Caribbean coast in 1502. In 1513 Balboa crossed the Isthmus of Panama to reach the Pacific Ocean. Controlled by Spain until 1821, the area then became part of Colombia. Eager for a canal across the isthmus, the United States supported a revolution leading to Panamanian independence in 1903. Panama is the capital.
2. also Panama City The capital and largest city of Panama, in the central part of the country on the Gulf of Panama. The original city was founded in 1519, destroyed in 1671, and rebuilt a short distance away in 1673.
Pan′a·ma′ni·an (-mā′nē-ən) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) a republic in Central America, occupying the Isthmus of Panama: gained independence from Spain in 1821 and joined Greater Colombia; became independent in 1903, with the immediate area around the canal forming the Canal Zone under US jurisdiction; Panama assumed sovereignty over the Canal Zone in 1979 and full control in 1999. Official language: Spanish; English is also widely spoken. Religion: Roman Catholic majority. Currency: balboa. Capital: Panama City. Pop: 3 559 408 (2013 est). Area: 75 650 sq km (29 201 sq miles)
2. (Placename) Isthmus of Panama an isthmus linking North and South America, between the Pacific and the Caribbean. Length: 676 km (420 miles). Width (at its narrowest point): 50 km (31 miles). Former name: Darien or Isthmus of Darien
3. (Placename) Gulf of Panama a wide inlet of the Pacific in Panama
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Pan•a•ma(ˈpæn əˌmɑ, -ˌmɔ)
n., pl. -mas for 5.
1. a republic in S Central America. 2,778,526; 29,762 sq. mi. (77,082 sq. km).
2. Also called Panama City. the capital of Panama, at the Pacific end of the Panama Canal. 594,800.
3. Isthmus of, an isthmus between North and South America.
4. Gulf of, the portion of the Pacific in the bend of the Isthmus of Panama.
5. (sometimes l.c.) Panama hat.Also, Pa•na•má (Sp. ˌpɑ nɑˈmɑ) (for defs. 1,2).
Pan`a•ma′ni•an (-ˈmeɪ ni ən) adj., n.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Panama - a republic on the Isthmus of Panama; achieved independence from Colombia in 1903|
Panama Canal - a ship canal 40 miles long across the Isthmus of Panama built by the United States (1904-1914)
OAS, Organization of American States - an association including most countries in the western hemisphere; created in 1948 to promote military and economic and social and cultural cooperation
Aspinwall - a port city at the Caribbean entrance to the Panama Canal
Canal Zone, Panama Canal Zone - a zone consisting of a strip of land across the Isthmus of Panama that contains the Panama Canal
Isthmus of Darien, Isthmus of Panama - the isthmus that connects Central America and South America; was formerly called the Isthmus of Darien; "Balboa crossed the Isthmus of Darien"
Panamanian - a native or inhabitant of Panama
|2.||Panama - a stiff hat made of straw with a flat crown|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
klobúk z panamy
hasır şapkaPanamaPanama şapkası
A. N → Panamá m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Panama[ˈpænəmɑː] n → Panama mPanama Canal n
the Panama Canal → le canal de PanamaPanama hat panama hat, panama [ˈpænəmɑː] n → panama m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
panama(pӕnəˈmaː) , ((American) ˈpӕnəma:) noun
(often panama hat) a hat made of straw-like material, worn in hot weather. panama قُبَّعة بنما панамена шапка panamá klobouk panama der Strohhut panamahat ψαθάκι panamá panama(kübar) کلاه شاپوی حصیری olkihattu panama כּוֹבָע קָשׁ बास से बनी हुई टोपी slamnati šešir panamakalap topi anyaman panamahattur (barðastór) panama パナマ帽 파나마 모자 panama panama panama panamahoedpanamahatt, stråhatt panama يوډوزل خولۍ چې له پلنو پاڼو يې جوړوي اوپه جنوبي امريكې كې استماليږي panamá (pălărie) panama панама klobúk z panamy panamski slamnik slamnati šešir panamahatt หมวกที่ทำจากวัสดุคล้ายฟาง Panama şapkası, hasır şapka 巴拿馬草帽 панама ايک قسم کا ٹوپي mũ panama 巴拿马草帽
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
Panama→ بَنَمَا Panama Panama Panama Παναμάς Panamá Panama Panama Panama Repubblica di Panama パナマ 파나마 Panama Panama Panama Panamá Панама Panama ประเทศปานามา Panama nước Panama 巴拿马
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009