Punjab(redirected from Panjab)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A historical region of the northwest Indian subcontinent bounded by the Indus and Yamuna Rivers. It was a center of the prehistoric Indus Valley civilization and after c. 1500 bc the site of early Aryan settlements. Muslims occupied the western part of the region by the 8th century, introducing Islam, and although they later conquered the eastern part, Hinduism remained entrenched there. The Moguls brought the region to cultural eminence until their empire declined in the 18th century. The Punjab was controlled by Sikhs from 1799 to 1849, when it was annexed by Great Britain. It was partitioned between India and Pakistan in 1947.
2. A state of northwest India in the eastern part of the historical region of the Punjab. Chandigarh is the capital.
Word History: Punjab, a region of the northwest Indian subcontinent bounded by the Indus River in the west and the Yamuna in the east, comes through Hindi from Persian panj-āb, "five rivers," referring to tributaries of the Indus. Persian panj is closely related to Hindi pañc, pronounced (pŭnch), "five," the source of our punch, a drink that originally contained five ingredients. The Persian and Hindi words are descended from Indo-European *penkwe, which appears in Greek as pente, as in pentagon, and in English as five. The āb in panj-āb comes from the Indo-European root *ap-, "water, river," and is also found in our word julep, which comes ultimately from Persian gulāb, "rose water."
1. (Placename) (formerly) a province in NW British India: divided between India and Pakistan in 1947
2. (Placename) a state of NW India: reorganized in 1966 as a Punjabi-speaking state, a large part forming the new state of Haryana; mainly agricultural. Capital: Chandigarh. Pop: 24 289 296 (2001). Area: 50 255 sq km (19 403 sq miles)
3. (Placename) a province of W Pakistan: created in 1947. Capital: Lahore. Pop: 82 710 000 (2003 est). Area: 205 344 sq km (127 595 sq miles)
Pun•jab(pʌnˈdʒɑb, ˈpʌn dʒɑb)
1. a former province in NW British India: now divided between India and Pakistan.
2. a state in NW India. 20,281,969; 19,445 sq. mi. (50,362 sq. km). Cap.: Chandigarh.
3. a province in NE Pakistan. 62,060,000; 79,284 sq. mi. (205,330 sq. km). Cap.: Lahore.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Punjab - a historical region on northwestern India and northern Pakistan|
Bharat, India, Republic of India - a republic in the Asian subcontinent in southern Asia; second most populous country in the world; achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1947
Punjab[ˈpʌndʒɑːb] n (also the Punjab) → le Pendjab
n the Punjab → das Pandschab