Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Pap test(pæp) or
nUS equivalent: Papanicolaou smear
1. (Gynaecology & Obstetrics) another name for cervical smear
2. (Medicine) a similar test for precancerous cells in other organs
[C20: named after George Papanicolaou (1883–1962), US anatomist, who devised it]
(or pap′) test`(pæp)
1. a test for cancer of the cervix, consisting of the staining of cells taken in a cervical or vaginal smear (Pap′(or pap′) smear`) for examination of exfoliated cells.
2. a vaginal Pap smear used to evaluate estrogen levels.
3. an examination of exfoliated cells in any body fluid for cancer cells.Also called Papanicolaou test.
[1960–65; after George Papanicolaou (1883–1962), U.S. cytologist, born in Greece, who developed the staining method]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Pap test - a method of examining stained cells in a cervical smear for early diagnosis of uterine cancer|
cervical smear, Pap smear, Papanicolaou smear - a sample of secretions and superficial cells of the uterine cervix and uterus; examined with a microscope to detect any abnormal cells