Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Of or relating to the peoples, languages, or cultures of Papua New Guinea or New Guinea.
1. A native or inhabitant of Papua New Guinea or New Guinea.
2. A member of any of the indigenous peoples of New Guinea and neighboring islands.
3. Any of the indigenous languages of New Guinea, New Britain, and the Solomon Islands.
1. (Languages) of or relating to Papua or any of the languages spoken there
2. (Placename) of or relating to Papua or any of the languages spoken there
3. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of Papua New Guinea
4. (Languages) any of several languages of Papua New Guinea that apparently do not belong to the Malayo-Polynesian family
Pap•u•an(ˈpæp yu ən)
1. of or pertaining to Papua or Papua New Guinea, or the inhabitants of either.
2. of or pertaining to the island of New Guinea or its indigenous inhabitants.
3. of, pertaining to, or denoting the group of more than 700 languages, belonging to an as yet undetermined number of language families, spoken on New Guinea, several islands of E Indonesia, and parts of the Bismarck Archipelago, Bougainville, and the W Solomon Islands.n.
4. a native or inhabitant of Papua or Papua New Guinea.
a. a member of any of the indigenous peoples of New Guinea.
b. a speaker of a Papuan language.
6. the Papuan languages collectively.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Papuan - a native or inhabitant of Papua New Guinea or New Guinea|
New Guinea - a Pacific island to the north of Australia; the 2nd largest island in the world; the western part is governed by Indonesia and the eastern part is Papua New Guinea
Indonesian - a native or inhabitant of Indonesia
|2.||Papuan - any of the indigenous languages spoken in Papua New Guinea or New Britain or the Solomon Islands that are not Malayo-Polynesian languages|
|Adj.||1.||Papuan - of or relating to Papua or its people or language; "Papuan native crafts"; "Papuan vowels"|