Papuan(redirected from Papuans)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Of or relating to the peoples, languages, or cultures of Papua New Guinea or New Guinea.
1. A native or inhabitant of Papua New Guinea or New Guinea.
2. A member of any of the indigenous peoples of New Guinea and neighboring islands.
3. Any of the indigenous languages of New Guinea, New Britain, and the Solomon Islands.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Languages) of or relating to Papua or any of the languages spoken there
2. (Placename) of or relating to Papua or any of the languages spoken there
3. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of Papua New Guinea
4. (Languages) any of several languages of Papua New Guinea that apparently do not belong to the Malayo-Polynesian family
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Pap•u•an(ˈpæp yu ən)
1. of or pertaining to Papua or Papua New Guinea, or the inhabitants of either.
2. of or pertaining to the island of New Guinea or its indigenous inhabitants.
3. of, pertaining to, or denoting the group of more than 700 languages, belonging to an as yet undetermined number of language families, spoken on New Guinea, several islands of E Indonesia, and parts of the Bismarck Archipelago, Bougainville, and the W Solomon Islands.n.
4. a native or inhabitant of Papua or Papua New Guinea.
a. a member of any of the indigenous peoples of New Guinea.
b. a speaker of a Papuan language.
6. the Papuan languages collectively.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Papuan - a native or inhabitant of Papua New Guinea or New Guinea|
New Guinea - a Pacific island to the north of Australia; the 2nd largest island in the world; the western part is governed by Indonesia and the eastern part is Papua New Guinea
Indonesian - a native or inhabitant of Indonesia
|2.||Papuan - any of the indigenous languages spoken in Papua New Guinea or New Britain or the Solomon Islands that are not Malayo-Polynesian languages|
|Adj.||1.||Papuan - of or relating to Papua or its people or language; "Papuan native crafts"; "Papuan vowels"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.