parlay(redirected from Parler)
Also found in: Encyclopedia.
tr.v. par·layed, par·lay·ing, par·lays
1. To bet (an original wager and its winnings) on a subsequent event.
2. To use to great advantage or transform into something better: parlayed some small investments into a large fortune.
A bet comprising the sum of a prior wager plus its winnings or a series of bets made in such a manner.
[Alteration of paroli, staking of double the sum staked before in faro, from French, from obsolete Italian, probably from Italian parare, to place a bet, from Latin parāre, to prepare; see pare.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Gambling, except Cards) to stake (winnings from one bet) on a subsequent wager. Brit equivalent: double up
2. to exploit (one's talent) to achieve worldly success
(Gambling, except Cards) a bet in which winnings from one wager are staked on another, or a series of such bets
[C19: variant of paroli, via French from Neapolitan Italian parolo, from paro a pair, from Latin pār equal, par]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
par•lay(ˈpɑr leɪ, -li)
1. to bet or gamble (an original amount and its winnings) on a subsequent contest.
2. to use (assets) to achieve a relatively great gain: to parlay a modest inheritance into a fortune.n.
3. a bet of an original sum and the subsequent winnings.
[1820–30, Amer.; alter. of earlier paroli < French < Neapolitan Italian, pl. of parolo, perhaps derivative of paro equal < Latin pār; see pair]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: parlayed
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
|Noun||1.||parlay - a series of wagers in which the winnings from one wager are used as a stake for the subsequent wagers|
|Verb||1.||parlay - stake winnings from one bet on a subsequent wager|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.