patriarch(redirected from Patriarchs of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A man who rules a family, clan, or tribe.
a. One of the antediluvian progenitors of the human race, from Adam to Noah.
b. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, or any of Jacob's 12 sons, the eponymous progenitors of the 12 tribes of Israel.
3. Used formerly as a title for the bishops of Rome, Constantinople, Jerusalem, Antioch, and Alexandria.
4. Roman Catholic Church A bishop who holds the highest episcopal rank after the pope.
5. Eastern Orthodox Church Any one of the bishops of the sees of Constantinople, Antioch, Alexandria, Moscow, and Jerusalem who has authority over other bishops.
6. Judaism The head of the Sanhedrin in Syrian Palestine from about 180 bc to ad 429.
7. Mormon Church A high dignitary of the priesthood empowered to invoke blessings.
8. One who is regarded as the founder or original head of an enterprise, organization, or tradition.
9. A very old, venerable man; an elder.
10. The oldest member of a group: the patriarch of the herd.
1. (Anthropology & Ethnology) the male head of a tribe or family. Compare matriarch2
2. a very old or venerable man
3. (Bible) Old Testament any of a number of persons regarded as the fathers of the human race, divided into the antediluvian patriarchs, from Adam to Noah, and the postdiluvian, from Noah to Abraham
4. (Bible) Old Testament any of the three ancestors of the Hebrew people: Abraham, Isaac, or Jacob
5. (Bible) Old Testament any of Jacob's twelve sons, regarded as the ancestors of the twelve tribes of Israel
6. (Ecclesiastical Terms) Early Church the bishop of one of several principal sees, esp those of Rome, Antioch, and Alexandria
7. (Eastern Church (Greek & Russian Orthodox)) Eastern Orthodox Church the bishops of the four ancient principal sees of Constantinople, Antioch, Alexandria, and Jerusalem, and also of Russia, Romania, and Serbia, the bishop of Constantinople (the ecumenical Patriarch) being highest in dignity among these
8. (Roman Catholic Church) RC Church
a. a title given to the pope
b. a title given to a number of bishops, esp of the Uniat Churches, indicating their rank as immediately below that of the pope
9. (Protestantism) Mormon Church another word for Evangelist2
10. (Christian Churches, other) Eastern Christianity the head of the Coptic, Armenian, Syrian Jacobite, or Nestorian Churches, and of certain other non-Orthodox Churches in the East
11. the oldest or most venerable member of a group, community, etc: the patriarch of steam engines.
12. a person regarded as the founder of a community, tradition, etc
[C12: via Old French from Church Latin patriarcha]
1. the male head of a family or tribal line.
2. a person regarded as the father or founder of an order, class, etc.
3. any of the Biblical personages regarded as the fathers of the human race or any of the three great progenitors of the Israelites: Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
4. any of the 12 sons of Jacob from whom the tribes of Israel were descended.
5. (in the early Christian church) any of the bishops of the sees of Alexandria, Antioch, Constantinople, Jerusalem, or Rome having authority over other bishops.
6. Gk. Orth. Ch. the head of any of the ancient sees of Alexandria, Antioch, Constantinople, or Jerusalem.
7. the head of certain other churches.
8. Rom. Cath. Ch.
a. the pope as patriarch of the West.
b. any of certain bishops of the Eastern rites.
9. any of the high Mormon dignitaries who pronounce the blessing of the church.
10. one of the elders or leading older members of a community.
11. a venerable old man.
[1175–1225; Middle English patriark(e) (< Old French) < Late Latin patriarcha < Late Greek patriárchēs high-ranking bishop, Greek: family head =patri(á) family, derivative of patḗr father + -archēs -arch]
pa`tri•ar′chal, pa`tri•ar′chic, adj.
the head of any of the ancient sees or the see of another principal city or national church.See also: Eastern Orthodoxy
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||patriarch - title for the heads of the Eastern Orthodox Churches (in Istanbul and Alexandria and Moscow and Jerusalem)|
spiritual leader - a leader in religious or sacred affairs
|2.||patriarch - the male head of family or tribe |
head of household - the head of a household or family or tribe
|3.||patriarch - any of the early biblical characters regarded as fathers of the human race|
antediluvian, antediluvian patriarch - any of the early patriarchs who lived prior to the Noachian deluge
Jacob - (Old Testament) son of Isaac; brother of Esau; father of the twelve patriarchs of Israel; Jacob wrestled with God and forced God to bless him, so God gave Jacob the new name of Israel (meaning `one who has been strong against God')
Simeon - (Old Testament) the 2nd son of Jacob and one of the 12 patriarchs of Israel
|4.||patriarch - a man who is older and higher in rank than yourself|
بَطْرِيَرْك، بَطْرَكرب القَبيلَه
erkek aile reisipatrik
patriarch[ˈpeɪtrɪɑːk] N (Rel) → patriarca m
patriarch[ˈpeɪtriɑːrk] n → patriarche m
n → Patriarch m
patriarch[ˈpeɪtrɪˌɑːk] n → patriarca m
1. the male head of a family or tribe. patriarg رب القَبيلَه патриарх patriarca patriarcha der Patriarch patriark; overhoved πατριάρχης οικογένειας ή φυλής patriarca perekonnaisa, hõimupealik بزرگ خاندان؛ سر قبیله patriarkka patriarche רֹאש שֶבֶט कुलपिता patrijah, najstarija osoba pátriárka patriarkhat ættfaðir patriarca 族長 원로, 가부장 patriarchas patriarhs bapa patriarchpatriarkpatriarcha دكورنۍ مشر، دټبر مشر، زوړ منلى سړى patriarca capul familiei; şef de trib старейшина patriarcha poglavar patrijarh patriark หัวหน้าครอบครัว erkek aile reisi 家長，族長 старійшина, патріарх سردار قبيلہ، سربراہ خاندان gia trưởng; tộc trưởng 家长，族长
2. especially in the Eastern Orthodox Church, a high-ranking bishop. patriarg بَطْرِيَرْك، بَطْرَك патриарх patriarca patriarcha der Patriarch patriark Πατριάρχης patriarca patriarh سر مطران patriarkka patriarcheפטריארך बिशप osnivač, praotac pátriárka uskup patríarki patriarca 主教 총주교 patriarchas patriarhs biskop patriarchpatriarkpatriarcha مشر patriarca patriarh патриарх patriarcha patriarh patrijarh patriark พระสังฆราช patrik 高級主教 патріарх پادري giáo trưởng 高级主教ˌpatriˈarchal adjective
of, like, ruled by etc a patriarch or patriarchs. a patriarchal society/church. patriargaal أبَوي، بَطْرِيَرْكي патриархален patriarcal patriarchální patriarchalisch patriarkalsk; mandsdomineret πατριαρχικός patriarcal patriarhaalne وابسته به ریش سفیدی و پیش کسوتی patriarkaalinen patriarcal פַּטרִיארכַאלִי पितृ-सत्तात्मक, पिर्तमंत्रीय patrijahalan patriarkális patriarkhal ættföður-; feðraveldis- patriarcale 族長制の 가부장제의 patriarchalinis, patriarcho patriarhāls patriarki patriarchaalpatriarkalsk patriarchalny دكاله پلار توب، دكام مشر توب patriarcal patriarhal патриархальный; патриарший patriarchálny patriarhalen patrijarhalan patriarkalisk ที่เกี่ยวกับหัวหน้าหรือพระสังฆราช ataerkil, babaerkil 家長(或族長)制的，(宗)教長的 патріархальний; патріарший سردار قبيلہ سے متعلق thuộc tộc trưởng/ gia trưởng 家长或族长的，大主教的