Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Pe·king·ese(pē′kĭng-ēz′, -ēs′) also Pe·kin·ese (pē′kə-nēz′, -nēs′)
n. pl. Pekingese also Pekinese
1. A native or resident of Peking (Beijing).
2. The Chinese dialect of Peking.
3. (pē′kə-nēz′) A dog of a small breed developed in China, having a flat nose, a long straight coat, and a tail that curls over the back.
npl -esepl -ese
1. (Breeds) a small breed of pet dog with a profuse straight coat, curled plumed tail, and short wrinkled muzzle
2. (Languages) the dialect of Mandarin Chinese spoken in Beijing (formerly Peking), the pronunciation of which serves as a standard for the language
3. (Human Geography) a native or inhabitant of Beijing (formerly Peking)
(Human Geography) of or relating to Beijing (formerly Peking) or its inhabitants
Pe•king•ese(ˌpi kəˈniz, -ˈnis; esp. for 2-5 also ˌpi kɪŋˈiz, -ˈis)
also Pe•kin•ese(ˌpi kəˈniz, -ˈnis)
n., pl. -ese for 1,4,
1. one of a Chinese breed of small dogs having a long, silky coat and a flat, wrinkled muzzle.
a. the Mandarin dialect of Beijing.
3. a native or inhabitant of Beijing.adj.
4. of or pertaining to Beijing or its inhabitants.