Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
See George Town.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) Also called: Pulau Pinang a state of Peninsular Malaysia: consists of the island of Penang and the province Wellesley on the mainland, which first united administratively in 1798 as a British colony. Capital: George Town. Pop: 1 313 449 (2000). Area: 1030 sq km (398 sq miles)
2. (Placename) a forested island off the NW coast of Malaya, in the Strait of Malacca. Area: 293 sq km (113 sq miles). Former name (until about 1867): Prince of Wales Island
3. (Placename) another name for George Town
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Pe•nang(pɪˈnæŋ, -ˈnɑŋ, ˈpiˈnɑŋ)
1. an island in SE Asia, off the W coast of the Malay Peninsula. 110 sq. mi. (285 sq. km).
2. a state in Malaysia including this island and parts of the adjacent mainland. 954,638; 400 sq. mi. (1036 sq. km). Cap.: Georgetown. Malay, Pinang.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.