Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of or relating to Pennsylvania.
2. Of, relating to, or being the period of geologic time from about 318 to 299 million years ago, the sixth period of the Paleozoic Era. The Pennsylvanian Period is characterized by the appearance of the first reptiles and widespread swamp forests. See Table at geologic time.
1. A native or resident of Pennsylvania.
2. The Pennsylvanian Period. Also called Upper Carboniferous.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) of the state of Pennsylvania
2. (Geological Science) (in North America) of, denoting, or formed in the upper of two divisions of the Carboniferous period, which lasted 30 million years, during which coal measures were formed. See also Mississippian2
3. (Placename) an inhabitant or native of the state of Pennsylvania
4. (Geological Science) the Pennsylvanian the Pennsylvanian period or rock system, equivalent to the Upper Carboniferous of Europe
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Penn•syl•va•nian(ˌpɛn səlˈveɪn yən, -ˈveɪ ni ən)
1. of or pertaining to the state of Pennsylvania.
2. of or pertaining to a period of the Paleozoic Era, occurring from about 310 to 280 million years ago and characterized by warm climates, swampy land areas, and the development of insects and reptiles: sometimes considered as an epoch of the Carboniferous Period.n.
3. a native or inhabitant of Pennsylvania.
4. the Pennsylvanian Period or System.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
The sixth period of the Paleozoic Era, from about 320 to 286 million years ago, whose rock deposits are rich in coal. Reptiles first appeared in the Pennsylvanian Period. See Chart at geologic time.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Pennsylvanian - from 310 million to 280 million years ago; warm climate; swampy land|
|2.||Pennsylvanian - a native or resident of Pennsylvania|
American - a native or inhabitant of the United States
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
adj → pennsylvanisch
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007