Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Pentecostal: Pentecostal religion
1. Of, relating to, or occurring at Pentecost.
2. Of, relating to, or being any of various Christian religious congregations whose members seek to be filled with the Holy Spirit, in emulation of the Apostles at Pentecost.
A member of a Pentecostal congregation.
Pen′te·cos′tal·ist adj. & n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Christian Churches, other) (usually prenominal) of or relating to any of various Christian groups that emphasize the charismatic aspects of Christianity and adopt a fundamental attitude to the Bible
2. (Ecclesiastical Terms) of or relating to Pentecost or the influence of the Holy Ghost
(Christian Churches, other) a member of a Pentecostal Church
ˌPenteˈcostalist n, adj
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Pen•te•cos•tal(ˌpɛn tɪˈkɔ stl, -ˈkɒs tl)
1. of or pertaining to Pentecost.
2. noting or pertaining to any of various Christian groups, usu. fundamentalist, that emphasize the activity of the Holy Spirit, stress holiness of living, and express their religious feelings uninhibitedly, as by speaking in tongues.
[1540–50; < Late Latin]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Pentecostal - any member of a Pentecostal religious body|
Pentecostal religion - any fundamentalist Protestant Church that uses revivalistic methods to achieve experiences comparable to the Pentecostal experiences of the first Christian disciples
Protestant - an adherent of Protestantism
|Adj.||1.||pentecostal - of or relating to or characteristic of any of various Pentecostal religious bodies or their members|
|2.||pentecostal - of or relating to or occurring at Pentecost|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Pentecostal[ˌpentɪˈkɒstl] ADJ → de Pentecostés
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Pentecostal[ˌpɛntɪˈkɒstəl] adj [church] → pentecôtiste
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007