Also found in: Thesaurus.
Pe·rón(pə-rōn′, pĕ-), Juan Domingo 1895-1974.
Argentine soldier and president (1946-1955 and 1973-1974). His second wife, (Maria) Eva Duarte de Perón (1919-1952), known as "Evita," was popular for her charitable works. Perón was succeeded in office by his third wife, Maria Estela Martínez de Perón (born 1931), known as "Isabelita," who was ousted by the military in 1976.
1. (Biography) Juan Domingo (xwan doˈmɪnɡo). 1895–1974, Argentine soldier and statesman; dictator (1946–55). He was deposed in 1955, remaining in exile until 1973, when he was elected president (1973–74)
2. (Biography) his third wife, María Estella (maˈria esˈteʎa), known as Isabel. born 1931, president of Argentina (1974–76); deposed
3. (Biography) (María) Eva (Duarte) de Perón (ˈeβa), known as Evita. Second wife of Juan Domingo Perón. 1919–52, Argentine film actress: active in politics and social welfare (1946–52)
Peˈronist n, adj
1. Eva Duarte de, 1919–52, Argentine political figure (wife of Juan Perón).
2. Juan (Domingo), 1895–1974, president of Argentina 1946–55, 1973–74.