caraway(redirected from Persian Cumin)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A biennial Eurasian herb (Carum carvi) in the parsley family, having finely divided leaves and clusters of small, white or pinkish flowers.
2. The seedlike fruit of this plant, widely used as a flavoring and seasoning in various foods. Also called caraway seed.
[Middle English carewei, from Old French carvi, caroi, probably from Medieval Latin carvi, carwi, ultimately from Arabic karawyā, from Greek karō.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) an umbelliferous Eurasian plant, Carum carvi, having finely divided leaves and clusters of small whitish flowers
2. (Plants) caraway seed the pungent aromatic one-seeded fruit of this plant, used in cooking and in medicine
[C14: probably from Medieval Latin carvi, from Arabic karawyā, from Greek karon]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a plant, Carum carvi, of the parsley family, native to Europe, having finely divided leaves and umbels of white or pinkish flowers.
2. Also called car′away seed`. the aromatic seedlike fruit of this plant, used in cooking and medicine.
[1325–75; Middle English car(a)wai, variant of carwy < Medieval Latin carui < Arabic karawiyā]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||caraway - a Eurasian plant with small white flowers yielding caraway seed|
caraway - leaves used sparingly in soups and stews
caraway seed - aromatic seeds of the caraway plant; used widely as seasoning
herb, herbaceous plant - a plant lacking a permanent woody stem; many are flowering garden plants or potherbs; some having medicinal properties; some are pests
whorled caraway - a caraway with whorled leaves
|2.||caraway - leaves used sparingly in soups and stews|
herb - aromatic potherb used in cookery for its savory qualities
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
A. N → alcaravea f
B. CPD caraway seeds NPL → carvis mpl
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Kümmel m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995