Perth(redirected from Perthes)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A city of southwest Australia near the Indian Ocean. Founded in 1829, it grew rapidly after the discovery of gold in the region in the 1890s.
2. A town of central Scotland on the Tay River north of Edinburgh. It was the capital of Scotland from the 11th to the mid-15th century.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) a city in central Scotland, in Perth and Kinross on the River Tay: capital of Scotland from the 12th century until the assassination of James I there in 1437. Pop: 44 200 (2009 est)
2. (Placename) a city in SW Australia, capital of Western Australia, on the Swan River: major industrial centre; University of Western Australia (1911). Pop: 1 897 548 (2012)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. Also called Perth′shire (-ʃɪər, -ʃər) a historic county in central Scotland.
2. a city in this county: a port on the Tay River. 42,438.
3. the capital of Western Australia, in SW Australia. 1,193,000.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.