petiole(redirected from Petioles)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Petioles: phyllode
1. Botany The stalk by which a leaf is attached to a stem. Also called leafstalk.
2. Zoology A slender, stalklike part, as that connecting the thorax and abdomen in certain insects.
[Latin petiolus, variant of peciolus, little foot, fruit stalk, probably from *pediciolus, diminutive of pediculus; see pedicel.]
1. (Botany) the stalk by which a leaf is attached to the rest of the plant
2. (Zoology) zoology a slender stalk or stem, such as the connection between the thorax and abdomen of ants
[C18: via French from Latin petiolus little foot, from pēs foot]
1. the slender stalk by which a leaf is attached to the stem; leafstalk.
2. a stalk or peduncle, as that connecting the abdomen and thorax in wasps.
[1745–55; < New Latin petiolus, Latin petiolus,peciolus, probably for *pediciolus, diminutive of pediculus pedicle]