initiator(redirected from Photoinitiator)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
tr.v. in·i·ti·at·ed, in·i·ti·at·ing, in·i·ti·ates
1. To set going by taking the first step; begin: initiated trade with developing nations. See Synonyms at begin.
2. To introduce to a new field, interest, skill, or activity: initiated the students into the world of opera.
3. To admit (someone) into membership, as with a ritual or ceremony.
1. Initiated or admitted, as to membership or a position of authority.
2. Introduced to something new, such as a new field of knowledge.
1. One who is being or has been initiated into an organization.
2. One who has been introduced to or has attained some knowledge in a particular field.
1. a person or thing that initiates
2. (Chemistry) chem a substance that starts a chain reaction
3. (Chemistry) chem an explosive used in detonators
inˈitiˌatress, inˈitiˌatrix fem n