piastre(redirected from Piastres)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial.
Related to Piastres: piasters
pi·as·teralso pi·as·tre (pē-ăs′tər, -ä′stər)
1. A unit of currency equal to 1/100 of the primary unit of currency in Egypt and various other countries of the Middle East.
2. Piece of eight.
[French piastre, from Italian piastra, thin metal plate, from Latin emplastrum, medical dressing; see plaster.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Currencies) (formerly) the standard monetary unit of South Vietnam, divided into 100 cents
2. (Currencies) a fractional monetary unit of Egypt, Lebanon, Sudan, South Sudan, and Syria worth one hundredth of a pound
3. (Currencies) another name for kuruş
4. (Currencies) a rare word for piece of eight
[C17: from French piastre, from Italian piastra d'argento silver plate; related to Italian piastro plaster]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||piastre - a fractional monetary unit in Egypt and Lebanon and Sudan and Syria|
fractional monetary unit, subunit - a monetary unit that is valued at a fraction (usually one hundredth) of the basic monetary unit
|2.||piastre - 100 kurus equal 1 lira in Turkey|
Turkish monetary unit - monetary unit in Turkey
asper - 20 aspers equal 1 kurus in Turkey
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
piastrepiaster (US) [pɪˈæstəʳ] N → piastra f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005