muskmelon(redirected from Pickling melon)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. Any of several varieties of the melon Cucumis melo, such as the cantaloupe, having fruit characterized by a netted rind and edible flesh with a musky aroma.
2. The fruit of any of these plants.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) any of several varieties of the melon Cucumis melo, such as the cantaloupe and honeydew
2. (Cookery) the fruit of any of these melons, having ribbed or warty rind and sweet yellow, white, or green flesh with a musky aroma
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a round or oblong melon, occurring in many varieties, having a juicy, sweet, yellow, white, or green, edible flesh.
2. the plant, Cucumis melo reticulatus, of the gourd family, bearing this fruit.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||muskmelon - any of several varieties of vine whose fruit has a netted rind and edible flesh and a musky smell|
muskmelon, sweet melon - the fruit of a muskmelon vine; any of several sweet melons related to cucumbers
melon vine, melon - any of various fruit of cucurbitaceous vines including: muskmelons; watermelons; cantaloupes; cucumbers
cantaloup, cantaloup vine, cantaloupe, cantaloupe vine, Cucumis melo cantalupensis - a variety of muskmelon vine having fruit with a tan rind and orange flesh
Cucumis melo inodorus, honeydew melon, Persian melon, winter melon, winter melon vine - any of a variety of muskmelon vines having fruit with a smooth white rind and white or greenish flesh that does not have a musky smell
|2.||muskmelon - the fruit of a muskmelon vine; any of several sweet melons related to cucumbers|
melon - any of numerous fruits of the gourd family having a hard rind and sweet juicy flesh
cantaloup, cantaloupe - the fruit of a cantaloup vine; small to medium-sized melon with yellowish flesh
winter melon - the fruit of the winter melon vine; a green melon with pale green to orange flesh that keeps well
net melon, netted melon, nutmeg melon - the fruit of a variety of muskmelon vine; a melon with netlike markings and deep green flesh
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.