Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Pines: piles
1. Any of various evergreen trees of the genus Pinus, having fascicles of needle-shaped leaves and producing woody seed-bearing cones. These trees are widely cultivated for ornament and shade and for their timber and resinous sap, which yields turpentine and pine tar.
2. Any of various other coniferous trees, such as the Norfolk Island pine.
3. The wood of any of these trees.
v. pined, pin·ing, pines
1. To feel a lingering, often nostalgic desire.
2. To wither or waste away from longing or grief: pined away and died.
To grieve or mourn for.
Intense longing or grief.
[Middle English pinen, from pine, suffering, from Old English pīne, punishment, torment, from Vulgar Latin *pēna, variant of Latin poena, penalty, from Greek poinē; see kwei- in Indo-European roots.]
Pines(pīnz), Isle of
See Isle of Youth.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Placename) Isle of Pines the former name of the (Isle of) Youth
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Isle of, former name of the Isle of Youth.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.