Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Pi·not(pē′nō, pē-nō′) also pi·not (pē′nō, pē-nō′)
1. Any of several red or white grapes originating in France and including Pinot Blanc, Pinot Grigio, and Pinot Noir.
2. A red or white wine made from these grapes.
[French, variant of pineau, diminutive of pin, pine tree (from the likeness of the dense, pointed clusters of Pinot grapes to pinecones ), from Latin pīnus; see peiə- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) any of several European and N American grape varieties used to make wine
2. (Brewing) any wine produced from a Pinot variety of grape, such as a Pinot Noir or Pinot Grigio
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n. (often cap.)
1. any of several varieties of purple or white vinifera grapes yielding a red or white wine, used esp. in making burgundies and champagnes.
2. a red or white wine made from such a grape.
[1910–15; < French, =pine pine cone + -ot n. suffix]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
pinot- A variant of French pineau, a diminutive of pine, from the shape of the clusters of grapes.
See also related terms for pine.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Pinot - any of several purple or white wine grapes used especially for Burgundies and champagnes|
common grape vine, vinifera, vinifera grape, Vitis vinifera - common European grape cultivated in many varieties; chief source of Old World wine and table grapes
Pinot noir - red wine grape; grown especially in California for making wines resembling those from Burgundy, France
Pinot blanc - white wine grape; grown especially in California for making wines resembling those from Chablis, France
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.