shill(redirected from Plant (person))
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. One who poses as a satisfied customer or an enthusiastic gambler to dupe bystanders into participating in a swindle.
2. One who publicly promotes another's cause, especially in an extravagant or misleading way.
v. shilled, shill·ing, shills
To act as a shill.
1. To act as a shill for (a deceitful enterprise).
2. To lure (a person) into a swindle.
[Perhaps short for shillaber, shill, of unknown origin.]
slang a confidence trickster's assistant, esp a person who poses as an ordinary customer, gambler, etc, in order to entice others to participate
[C20: perhaps shortened from shillaber a circus barker, of unknown origin]
1. a person who poses as a customer in order to decoy others into participating, as at a gambling house.
2. a person whose praises, endorsements, etc., are motivated by self-interest.v.i.
3. to work as a shill: to shill for a large casino.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||shill - a decoy who acts as an enthusiastic customer in order to stimulate the participation of others|
|Verb||1.||shill - act as a shill; "The shill bid for the expensive carpet during the auction in order to drive the price up"|