Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A city of southwest England on Plymouth Sound, an inlet of the English Channel. A major port, it was the embarkation point for the fleet that fought the Spanish Armada (1588).
2. A town of southeast Massachusetts on Plymouth Bay, an inlet of the Atlantic Ocean, southeast of Boston. Founded in 1620 by Pilgrims, who supposedly set foot on Plymouth Rock when disembarking from the Mayflower, it was the center of Plymouth Colony. The colony was governed under precepts laid down in the Mayflower Compact until 1691, when it was absorbed by the royal colony of Massachusetts.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) a port in SW England, in Plymouth unitary authority, SW Devon, on Plymouth Sound (an inlet of the English Channel): Britain's chief port in Elizabethan times; the last port visited by the Pilgrim Fathers in the Mayflower before sailing to America; naval base; university (1992). Pop: 243 795 (2001)
2. (Placename) a unitary authority in SW England, in Devon. Pop: 241 500 (2003 est). Area: 76 sq km (30 sq miles)
3. (Placename) a city in SE Massachusetts, on Plymouth Bay: the first permanent European settlement in New England; founded by the Pilgrim Fathers. Pop: 54 109 (2003 est)
4. (Placename) the former capital of Montserrat, in the Caribbean; largely destroyed by volcanic eruption in 1997
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a seaport in SW Devonshire, in SW England, on the English Channel: the departing point of the Mayflower 1620. 257,900.
2. a city in SE Massachusetts: the oldest town in New England, founded by the Pilgrims 1620. 35,913.
3. a town in SE Minnesota. 52,740.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Plymouth - a town in Massachusetts founded by Pilgrims in 1620|
Plymouth Colony - colony formed by the Pilgrims when they arrived at Plymouth Rock in 1620; it was absorbed into the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1691
Plymouth Rock - a boulder in Plymouth supposed to be where the Pilgrims disembarked from the Mayflower
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.