tubercle(redirected from Podaria)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A small rounded projecting part or outgrowth, such as a wartlike excrescence on the roots of some leguminous plants or a knoblike process in the skin or on a bone.
2. Medicine A nodule or swelling, especially a mass of lymphocytes and epithelioid cells forming the characteristic lesion of tuberculosis.
[Latin tūberculum, diminutive of tūber, lump; see tuber.]
1. (Botany) any small rounded nodule or elevation, esp on the skin, on a bone, or on a plant
2. (Pathology) any small rounded pathological lesion of the tissues, esp one characteristic of tuberculosis
[C16: from Latin tūberculum a little swelling, diminutive of tuber]
tu•ber•cle(ˈtu bər kəl, ˈtyu-)
1. a small rounded projection or excrescence, as on a bone or on the surface of the body.
a. a small, firm, rounded nodule or swelling.
b. such a swelling as the characteristic lesion of tuberculosis.
3. a tuberlike swelling or nodule on a plant.
A small rounded projection or swelling, as on the roots of legumes or on skin or a bone.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tubercle - a swelling that is the characteristic lesion of tuberculosis|
lesion - any localized abnormal structural change in a bodily part
|2.||tubercle - small rounded wartlike protuberance on a plant|
|3.||tubercle - a protuberance on a bone especially for attachment of a muscle or ligament|
deltoid eminence, deltoid tuberosity - a bump on the outside of the humerus where the deltoid muscle attaches