Polaroid(redirected from Polaroid glass)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A trademark for a specially treated, transparent plastic capable of polarizing light passing through it, used in glare-reducing optical devices.
2. A trademark for a camera and film that produce instant photographs.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (General Physics) trademark a type of plastic sheet that can polarize a transmitted beam of normal light because it is composed of long parallel molecules. It only transmits plane-polarized light if these molecules are parallel to the plane of polarization and, since reflected light is partly polarized, it is often used in sunglasses to eliminate glare
2. (Photography) Polaroid Land Camera any of several types of camera yielding a finished print by means of a special developing and processing technique that occurs inside the camera and takes only a few seconds to complete
3. (plural) sunglasses with lenses made from Polaroid plastic
(Photography) of, relating to, using, or used in a Polaroid Land Camera: Polaroid film.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a brand of glare-reducing material that produces polarized light by dichroism, consisting typically of an iodine-treated sheet of clear plastic.
2. the first brand of instant camera, developed by Edwin H. Land and marketed since 1948.
3. a print made by such a camera.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Polaroid - (trade mark) a plastic film that can polarize a beam of light; often used in sunglasses to eliminate glare|
plastic film, film - a thin sheet of (usually plastic and usually transparent) material used to wrap or cover things
dark glasses, shades, sunglasses - spectacles that are darkened or polarized to protect the eyes from the glare of the sun; "he was wearing a pair of mirrored shades"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
A. ADJ → Polaroid ®
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n (= camera) → Polaroidkamera® f, → Sofortbildkamera f; (= photograph) → Sofortbild nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Polaroid® [ˈpəʊləˌrɔɪd] n
a. (Polaroid photograph) → foto f inv polaroid ® (also Polaroid camera) → (macchina fotografica) polaroid ® f inv
b. Polaroids npl (also Polaroid sunglasses) → occhiali mpl polaroid ® inv
c. (material) → polaroid ® m inv
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995