popper(redirected from Poppers)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. One that pops.
2. A container or pan for making popcorn.
3. Slang An ampoule of amyl nitrite or butyl nitrite, used illicitly to induce euphoria and enhance sexual stimulation.
1. a person or thing that pops
2. (Knitting & Sewing) Brit an informal name for press stud
3. (Cookery) chiefly US and Canadian a container for cooking popcorn in
4. (Recreational Drugs) slang an amyl nitrite capsule, which is crushed and its contents inhaled by drug users as a stimulant
(Biography) Sir Karl. 1902–94, British philosopher, born in Vienna. In The Logic of Scientific Discovery (1934), he proposes that knowledge cannot be absolutely confirmed, but rather that science progresses by the experimental refutation of the current theory and its consequent replacement by a new theory, equally provisional but covering more of the known data. The Open Society and its Enemies (1945) is a critique of dogmatic political philosophies, such as Marxism. Other works are The Poverty of Historicism (1957), Conjectures and Refutations (1963), and Objective Knowledge (1972)
Popperian n, adj
1. a person or thing that pops.
2. a covered pan used for popping corn.
3. a vial of amyl or butyl nitrite abused as a vasodilator for the effect of exhilaration.
n. Sir Karl (Rai•mund) (ˈreɪ mənd)
1902–94, British philosopher, born in Austria.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Popper - British philosopher (born in Austria) who argued that scientific theories can never be proved to be true, but are tested by attempts to falsify them (1902-1994)|
philosopher - a specialist in philosophy
|2.||popper - a container of stimulant drug (amyl nitrate or butyl nitrite)|
|3.||popper - a container for cooking popcorn|
cooker - a utensil for cooking
1. (Brit) (= press-stud) → corchete m
2. (Drugs) cápsula de nitrito amílico
popper[ˈpɒpər] n (British) → bouton-pression m
n (Brit inf: = press-stud) → Druckknopf m
popper[ˈpɒpəʳ] n (Brit) → (bottone m) automatico
n. pop. nombre atribuído a algunas drogas adictivas.