poppet(redirected from Poppets)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A poppet valve.
a. A small removable piece of wood on the washboard of a boat, covering a cutout space that can be used as an oarlock.
b. One of the beams of a launching cradle supporting a ship's hull.
3. Chiefly British A darling.
[Middle English popet, small child, doll, puppet; see puppet.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a term of affection for a small child or sweetheart
2. (Mechanical Engineering) Also called: poppet valve a mushroom-shaped valve that is lifted from its seating against a spring by applying an axial force to its stem: commonly used as an exhaust or inlet valve in an internal-combustion engine
3. (Nautical Terms) nautical a temporary supporting brace for a vessel hauled on land or in a dry dock
[C14: early variant of puppet]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a rising and falling valve consisting of a disk at the end of a vertically set stem, used in internal-combustion and steam engines.
2. Brit. Dial. a term of endearment for a girl or child.
[1300–50; Middle English; earlier form of puppet]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||poppet - a mushroom-shaped valve that rises perpendicularly from its seat; commonly used in internal-combustion engines|
internal-combustion engine, ICE - a heat engine in which combustion occurs inside the engine rather than in a separate furnace; heat expands a gas that either moves a piston or turns a gas turbine
valve - control consisting of a mechanical device for controlling the flow of a fluid
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
poppet[ˈpɒpɪt] N (Brit) → encanto m, cielo m
yes, my poppet → sí, hija, sí, querida
she is a poppet → es un cielo
the boss is a poppet → el jefe es un encanto
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995