Port Royal

(redirected from Port Royal, Jamaica)
Also found in: Encyclopedia.

Port Royal

2. A village and former city of southeast Jamaica on a promontory southwest of Kingston. Infamous as a haven for pirates in the 1600s when it was Jamaica's colonial capital, it declined in importance after a devastating earthquake in 1692.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

Port Royal

n
1. (Placename) a fortified town in SE Jamaica, at the entrance to Kingston harbour: capital of Jamaica in colonial times
2. (Placename) the former name (until 1710) of Annapolis Royal
3. (Placename) an educational institution about 27 km (17 miles) west of Paris that flourished from 1638 to 1704, when it was suppressed by papal bull as it had become a centre of Jansenism. Its teachers were noted esp for their work on linguistics: their Grammaire générale et raisonnée exercised much influence
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014

Port` Roy′al


n.
a historic town on SE Jamaica at the entrance to Kingston harbor: a former capital of Jamaica.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
References in periodicals archive ?
Highest price of the sale was PS18,000 for Dominic serres RA (1719-1793) Ships of Admiral (Lord) Rodney's Fleet escorting the captured French flagship Ville de Paris, into Port Royal, Jamaica after the Battle of the Saintes, April 1782.
Johannesburg, Oct 17 ( ANI ): Australian golf ace Adam Scott has reportedly won the PGA Grand Slam of Golf at Port Royal, Jamaica by beating US Open champion Justin Rose by two shots.
Donny Hamilton combines archaeological investigations with historic accounts in his examination of the sinking of the town of Port Royal, Jamaica, in 1692.