potpourri(redirected from Pot-pourri)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. pot·pour·ris
1. A combination of incongruous things: "In the minds of many, the real and imagined causes for Russia's defeats quickly mingled into a potpourri of terrible fears" (W. Bruce Lincoln).
2. A miscellaneous anthology or collection: a potpourri of short stories and humorous verse.
3. A mixture of dried flower petals and spices used to scent the air.
[French pot pourri (translation of Spanish olla podrida) : pot, pot; see potiche + pourri, past participle of pourrir, to rot (from Old French purir, from Vulgar Latin *putrīre, from Latin putrēscere; see putrid).]
n, pl -ris
1. a collection of mixed flower petals dried and preserved in a pot to scent the air
2. a collection of unrelated or disparate items; miscellany
3. (Music, other) a medley of popular tunes
4. (Cookery) a stew of meat and vegetables
[C18: from French, literally: rotten pot, translation of Spanish olla podrida miscellany]
pot•pour•ri(ˌpoʊ pʊˈri, ˈpoʊ pʊˌri)
n., pl. -ris.
1. a fragrant mixture of dried flower petals and spices, usu. kept in a jar.
2. any miscellaneous grouping; medley.
Potpourria medley or collection of musical or literary extracts; a dish of different meats stewed together, 1611; a medley.
Examples: potpourri of meat, 1611; of flower perfumes, 1749; of literary pieces, 1864; of musical pieces, 1864; of sounds.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||potpourri - a collection containing a variety of sorts of things; "a great assortment of cars was on display"; "he had a variety of disorders"; "a veritable smorgasbord of religions"|
aggregation, collection, accumulation, assemblage - several things grouped together or considered as a whole
grab bag - an assortment of miscellaneous items
witches' brew, witches' broth, witch's brew - a fearsome mixture; "a witches' brew of gangsters and terrorists"; "mixing dope and alcohol creates a witches' brew"
range - a variety of different things or activities; "he answered a range of questions"; "he was impressed by the range and diversity of the collection"
selection - an assortment of things from which a choice can be made; "the store carried a large selection of shoes"
farrago, gallimaufry, hodgepodge, hotchpotch, melange, mingle-mangle, mishmash, oddments, odds and ends, omnium-gatherum, ragbag - a motley assortment of things
alphabet soup - a confusing assortment; "Roosevelt created an alphabet soup of federal agencies"
sampler - an assortment of various samples; "a candy sampler"; "a sampler of French poets"
|2.||potpourri - a musical composition consisting of a series of songs or other musical pieces from various sources|
|3.||potpourri - a jar of mixed flower petals and spices used as perfume|
potpourripot pourri [ˌpəʊˈpʊri] n
[flowers] → pot-pourri m
(= miscellany) → pot-pourri mpot roast n → rôti m en cocottepot scourer n → tampon m à récurerpot shot pot-shot, potshot [ˈpɒtʃɒt] n
a. (flowers) miscuglio di petali essiccati per profumare un ambiente
b. (fig) (of music, writing) → pot-pourri m inv