pox(redirected from Pox Disease)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Pox Disease: Poxvirus variolae
1. A disease such as chickenpox or smallpox, characterized by purulent skin eruptions that may leave pockmarks.
3. Misfortune or calamity.
[Alteration of pocks, from Middle English, pl. of pocke, pokke; see pock.]
1. (Pathology) any disease characterized by the formation of pustules on the skin that often leave pockmarks when healed
2. (Pathology) the pox an informal name for syphilis
3. a pox on someone (interjection) archaic an expression of intense disgust or aversion for someone
[C15: changed from pocks, plural of pock]
1. a disease characterized by multiple skin pustules, as smallpox.
3. curse; plague: A pox on you and your bright ideas!
[1540–50 (earlier as surname); sp. variant of pocks, pl. of pock]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pox - a common venereal disease caused by the treponema pallidum spirochete; symptoms change through progressive stages; can be congenital (transmitted through the placenta)|
sexually transmitted disease, social disease, STD, VD, venereal disease, venereal infection, Venus's curse, Cupid's disease, Cupid's itch, dose - a communicable infection transmitted by sexual intercourse or genital contact
primary syphilis - the first stage; characterized by a chancre at the site of infection
secondary syphilis - the second stage; characterized by eruptions of the skin and mucous membrane
tertiary syphilis - the third stage; characterized by involvement of internal organs especially the brain and spinal cord as well as the heart and liver
neurosyphilis - syphilis of the central nervous system
chancre - a small hard painless nodule at the site of entry of a pathogen (as syphilis)
|2.||pox - a contagious disease characterized by purulent skin eruptions that may leave pock marks|
smallpox, variola, variola major - a highly contagious viral disease characterized by fever and weakness and skin eruption with pustules that form scabs that slough off leaving scars
chickenpox, varicella - an acute contagious disease caused by herpes varicella zoster virus; causes a rash of vesicles on the face and body
n. enfermedad eruptiva de la piel caracterizada por manifestación de vesículas que se convierten en pústulas.