precursor(redirected from Precursor (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. One that precedes and indicates, suggests, or announces someone or something to come: Colonial opposition to unfair taxation by the British was a precursor of the Revolution.
2. One that precedes another; a forerunner or predecessor: The new principal's precursor was an eminent educator.
3. A biochemical substance, such as an intermediate compound in a chain of enzymatic reactions, from which a more stable or definitive product is formed: a precursor of insulin.
1. a person or thing that precedes and shows or announces someone or something to come; harbinger
2. a predecessor or forerunner
3. (Chemistry) a chemical substance that gives rise to another more important substance
[C16: from Latin praecursor one who runs in front, from praecurrere, from prae in front + currere to run]
pre•cur•sor(prɪˈkɜr sər, ˈpri kɜr-)
1. a person or thing that precedes, as in a job or a method; predecessor.
2. a person, animal, or thing regarded as a harbinger: The first robin is a precursor of spring.
3. a chemical that is transformed into another compound, as in the course of a chemical reaction, and therefore precedes that compound in the synthetic pathway: Cholesterol is a precursor of testosterone.
4. a cell or tissue that gives rise to a variant, specialized, or more mature form.
[1375–1425; late Middle English < Latin]
Any chemical reactant which takes place at any stage in the production by whatever method of a toxic chemical. This includes any key component of a binary or multicomponent chemical system. See also toxic chemical.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||precursor - a substance from which another substance is formed (especially by a metabolic reaction)|
biochemistry - the organic chemistry of compounds and processes occurring in organisms; the effort to understand biology within the context of chemistry
|2.||precursor - a person who goes before or announces the coming of another|
individual, mortal, person, somebody, someone, soul - a human being; "there was too much for one person to do"
predecessor - one who precedes you in time (as in holding a position or office)
|3.||precursor - something that precedes and indicates the approach of something or someone|
precursor[priːˈkɜːsəʳ] N → precursor(a) m/f
precursor[ˌpriːˈkɜːsəʳ] n → precursore m
n. precursor-a, predecesor-a, manifestación tal como la aparición de un síntoma o señal antes de desarrollarse una enfermedad;
a. precursor-a, predecesor-a; preliminar.