pretending(redirected from Pretending (song))
Also found in: Thesaurus.
v. pre·tend·ed, pre·tend·ing, pre·tends
1. To give a false appearance of; feign: "You had to pretend conformity while privately pursuing high and dangerous nonconformism" (Anthony Burgess).
2. To claim or allege insincerely or falsely: doesn't pretend to be an expert.
3. To represent fictitiously in play; make believe: pretended they were on a cruise.
4. To take upon oneself; venture: I cannot pretend to say that you are wrong.
1. To feign an action or character, as in play.
2. To lay claim: pretends to gourmet tastes.
Imitation; make-believe: pretend money; pretend pearls.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pretending - the act of giving a false appearance; "his conformity was only pretending"|
show, appearance - pretending that something is the case in order to make a good impression; "they try to keep up appearances"; "that ceremony is just for show"
masquerade - making a false outward show; "a beggar's masquerade of wealth"