dingbat(redirected from Printer's ornament)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
a variety of dingbats
1. Slang An empty-headed or silly person.
2. An object, such as a brick or stone, used as a missile.
3. Slang An unspecified gadget or other small article, especially one whose name is unknown or forgotten.
4. Printing A typographical ornament or symbol.
1. any unnamed object, esp one used as a missile
2. a crazy or stupid person
[C19: of unknown origin]
1. Informal. a ding-a-ling.
2. an ornamental piece of type for borders, separators, decorations, etc.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dingbat - a silly empty-headed person; "you would be a dingbat even to try it"; "yet here he was with an upper class dingbat who just happened to be married to his sister"|