proprietary(redirected from Propietary)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to Propietary: proprietary
1. Of or relating to a proprietor or to ownership: had proprietary rights.
2. Privately owned, as a business: a proprietary hospital.
3. Owned by a private individual or corporation under a trademark or patent: a proprietary drug.
n. pl. pro·pri·e·tar·ies
1. A proprietor or group of proprietors.
2. Ownership; proprietorship.
3. A proprietary medicine.
4. One granted ownership of a proprietary colony.
[From Middle English proprietarie, owner of property, from Old French proprietaire and from Medieval Latin proprietārius, both from Late Latin, of a property owner, from Latin proprietās, ownership; see property.]
1. (Commerce) of, relating to, or belonging to property or proprietors
2. privately owned and controlled
3. (Pharmacology) med of or denoting a drug or agent manufactured and distributed under a trade name. Compare ethical3
n, pl -taries
4. (Pharmacology) med a proprietary drug or agent
5. (Commerce) a proprietor or proprietors collectively
a. right to property
b. property owned
7. (Historical Terms) Also called: lord proprietary (in Colonial America) an owner, governor, or grantee of a proprietary colony
[C15: from Late Latin proprietārius an owner, from proprius one's own]
pro•pri•e•tar•y(prəˈpraɪ ɪˌtɛr i)
adj., n., pl. -tar•ies. adj.
1. pertaining to, belonging to, or being a proprietor.
2. pertaining to property or ownership.
3. manufactured and sold only by the owner of the patent, trademark, etc.: proprietary medicine.
4. privately owned and operated for profit: proprietary hospitals.n.
5. an owner or proprietor.
6. a body of proprietors.
8. something owned, esp. real estate.
9. a proprietary medicine.
10. the grantee or owner of a proprietary colony.
[1400–50; late Middle English (n.) < Medieval Latin proprietārius owner, n. use of Late Latin adj.: of an owner, of ownership]
pro•pri`e•tar′i•ly (-ˈtɛər ɪ li) adv.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||proprietary - an unincorporated business owned by a single person who is responsible for its liabilities and entitled to its profits|
ownership - the relation of an owner to the thing possessed; possession with the right to transfer possession to others
|Adj.||1.||proprietary - protected by trademark or patent or copyright; made or produced or distributed by one having exclusive rights; "`Tylenol' is a proprietary drug of which `acetaminophen' is the generic form"|
nonproprietary - not protected by trademark or patent or copyright; "nonproprietary products are in the public domain and anyone can produce or distribute them"
adj class → besitzend; attitude, manner → besitzergreifend; proprietary rights → Besitzrecht nt; proprietary article/name → Markenartikel/-name m; proprietary drug → Markenpräparat nt; the author has rather strong proprietary feelings about his work → der Autor sieht sein Werk als persönlichen Besitz an