protean(redirected from Proteans)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Wikipedia.
1. Readily taking on varied shapes, forms, or meanings.
2. Exhibiting considerable variety or diversity: "He loved to show off his protean talent" (William A. Henry III).
readily taking on various shapes or forms; variable
[C16: from Proteus]
pro•te•an(ˈproʊ ti ən, proʊˈti-)
1. readily assuming different forms or characters; extremely variable.
2. changeable in shape or form, as an ameba.
3. (of an actor) versatile.
4. (cap.) of, pertaining to, or suggestive of Proteus.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||protean - taking on different forms; "eyes...of that baffling protean grey which is never twice the same"|
variable - liable to or capable of change; "rainfall in the tropics is notoriously variable"; "variable winds"; "variable expenses"