Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Of or relating to Provence or its people, language, or culture.
1. The Romance language traditionally spoken in Southern France, including many distinct regional dialects. Also called Occitan.
2. The dialect of Provençal spoken in Provence, in contrast to those spoken in the other parts of southern France.
3. pl. Pro·ven·çals or Pro·ven·çaux (-sō′) A native or inhabitant of Provence.
[French, from Latin prōvinciālis, from prōvincia, province.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Provençal(ˌprɒvɒnˈsɑːl; French prɔvɑ̃sal)
1. (Placename) relating to, denoting, or characteristic of Provence, its inhabitants, their dialect of French, or their Romance language
2. (Peoples) relating to, denoting, or characteristic of Provence, its inhabitants, their dialect of French, or their Romance language
3. (Languages) relating to, denoting, or characteristic of Provence, its inhabitants, their dialect of French, or their Romance language
4. (Languages) a language of Provence, closely related to Catalan, French, and Italian, belonging to the Romance group of the Indo-European family. It was important in the Middle Ages as a literary language, and attempts have been made since the 19th century to revive its literary status. See also langue d'oc
5. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of Provence
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Pro•ven•çal(ˌproʊ vənˈsɑl, ˌprɒv ən-; Fr. prɔ vɑ̃ˈsal)
1. pertaining to Provence, its people, or their speech.n.
b. the Occitan dialect of Provence.
3. a native or inhabitant of Provence.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Provencal - the medieval dialects of Langue d'oc (southern France)|
|Adj.||1.||provencal - of or relating to Provence or its people or their culture|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005