Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of or relating to the astronomer Ptolemy.
2. Of or relating to the Ptolemies or to Egypt during their rule.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Astronomy) of or relating to the Greek astronomer Ptolemy or to his conception of the universe
2. (Historical Terms) of or relating to the Macedonian dynasty that ruled Egypt from the death of Alexander the Great (323 bc) to the death of Cleopatra (30 bc)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Ptol•e•ma•ic(ˌtɒl əˈmeɪ ɪk)
1. of or pertaining to Ptolemy or his system of astronomy.
2. of or pertaining to the dynastic house of the Ptolemies or the period of their rule in Egypt.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||Ptolemaic - of or relating to the astronomer Ptolemy|
|2.||Ptolemaic - of or relating to the geocentric Ptolemaic system; "in the Ptolemaic system of planetary motion the earth is fixed as the center of the universe with the sun and moon and planets revolving around it"|
geocentric - having the earth as the center
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007