quadrant(redirected from Quadrants)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to Quadrants: abdominal quadrants
a. A circular arc of 90°; one fourth of the circumference of a circle.
b. The plane area bounded by such an arc and two perpendicular radii.
c. Any of the four areas into which a plane is divided by the reference axes in a Cartesian coordinate system, designated first, second, third, and fourth, counting counterclockwise from the area in which both coordinates are positive.
2. A machine part or other mechanical device that is shaped like a quarter circle.
3. An early instrument for measuring altitude of celestial bodies, consisting of a 90° graduated arc with a movable radius for measuring angles.
[Middle English, quarter of a day, from Latin quadrāns, quadrant-, a fourth part; see kwetwer- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Mathematics) geometry
a. a quarter of the circumference of a circle
b. the area enclosed by two perpendicular radii of a circle and its circumference
c. any of the four sections into which a plane is divided by two coordinate axes
2. (Mechanical Engineering) a piece of a mechanism in the form of a quarter circle, esp one used as a cam or a gear sector
3. (Astronomy) an instrument formerly used in astronomy and navigation for measuring the altitudes of stars, consisting of a graduated arc of 90° and a sighting mechanism attached to a movable arm
[C14: from Latin quadrāns a quarter]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a quarter of a circle; an arc of 90°.
2. the area included between such an arc and two radii drawn one to each extremity.
3. something shaped like a quarter of a circle, as a part of a machine.
4. one of the four parts into which a plane, as the face of a heavenly body, is divided by two perpendicular lines: the first quadrant of the moon.
5. an instrument, usu. containing a graduated arc of 90°, used in astronomy, navigation, etc., for measuring altitudes.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Latin quadrant-, s. of quadrāns fourth part]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. An arc equal to one quarter of the circumference of a circle; an arc of 90°.
2. Any of the four regions into which a plane is divided by the axes of a Cartesian coordinate system. The quadrants are numbered counterclockwise one through four, beginning with the quadrant in which both the x- and y-coordinates are positive (usually the upper right quadrant).
3. An instrument with an arc of 90°, used to measure the angle between a celestial object and the horizon.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
quadrant- A quarter of a circle or sphere.
See also related terms for sphere.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
an instrument for measuring angular elevation, used in astronomy, navigation, surveying, etc., similar in principle to the sextant. — quadrantal, ad].See also: Instruments
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||quadrant - a quarter of the circumference of a circle|
line - a spatial location defined by a real or imaginary unidimensional extent
|2.||quadrant - any of the four areas into which a plane is divided by two orthogonal coordinate axes|
|3.||quadrant - the area enclosed by two perpendicular radii of a circle|
|4.||quadrant - a measuring instrument for measuring altitude of heavenly bodies|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
quadrant[ˈkwɒdrənt] N → cuadrante m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
quadrant[ˈkwɒdrənt] n → quadrant m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Quadrant m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
quadrant[ˈkwɒdrənt] n → quadrante m
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
n. cuadrante, cuarta parte de un círculo.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
quadrantn cuadrante m; left lower — cuadrante inferior izquierdo right upper — cuadrante superior derecho
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.