quaternion(redirected from Quarterion)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Quarterion: quaternion
1. A set of four persons or items.
2. Mathematics Any number of the form a + bi + cj + dk where a, b, c, and d are real numbers, ij = k, i2 = j2 = -1, and ij = -ji. Under addition and multiplication, quaternions have all the properties of a field, except multiplication is not commutative.
1. (Mathematics) maths a generalized complex number consisting of four components, x = x0 + x1i + x2j + x3k, where x, x0…x3 are real numbers and i2 = j2 = k2 = –1, ij = –ji = k, etc
2. another word for quaternary5
[C14: from Late Latin quaterniōn, from Latin quaternī four at a time]
qua•ter•ni•on(kwəˈtɜr ni ən)
1. a group or set of four persons or things.
2. a generalization of a complex number to four dimensions with three different imaginary units in which a number is represented as the sum of a real scalar and three real numbers multiplying each of the three imaginary units.
[1350–1400; Middle English quaternioun < Late Latin quaterniō= Latin quatern(ī) four at a time + -iō -ion]