string quartet(redirected from Quatuor à cordes)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. An ensemble of four musicians playing stringed instruments, usually two violins, a viola, and a cello.
2. A composition for such a group.
1. (Classical Music) an instrumental ensemble consisting of two violins, one viola, and one cello
2. (Classical Music) a piece of music written for such a group, usually having the form and commonest features of a sonata
1. a musical composition for four stringed instruments, typically two violins, viola, and cello.
2. the musicians performing string quartets.