Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Ramadan: Ramadan fasting
1. The ninth month of the year in the Islamic calendar. See Table at calendar.
2. A fast, held from sunrise to sunset, that is carried out during this period.
1. (Islam) the ninth month of the Muslim year, lasting 30 days, during which strict fasting is observed from sunrise to sunset
2. (Islam) the fast itself
[C16: from Arabic, literally: the hot month, from ramad dryness]
1. the ninth month of the Islamic calendar.
2. the daily fast that is enjoined from dawn until sunset during this month.
[1590–1600; < Arabic ramaḍān]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Ramadan - the ninth month of the Islamic calendar; the month of fasting; the holiest period for the Islamic faith|
Islamic calendar, Mohammedan calendar, Moslem calendar, Muhammadan calendar, Muslim calendar - the lunar calendar used by Muslims; dates from 622 AD (the year of the Hegira); the beginning of the Muslim year retrogresses through the solar year completing the cycle every 32 years
Islamic calendar month - any lunar month in the Muslim calendar
|2.||Ramadan - (Islam) a fast (held from sunrise to sunset) that is carried out during the Islamic month of Ramadan|
Mohammedanism, Muhammadanism, Muslimism, Islam, Islamism - the monotheistic religious system of Muslims founded in Arabia in the 7th century and based on the teachings of Muhammad as laid down in the Koran; "Islam is a complete way of life, not a Sunday religion"; "the term Muhammadanism is offensive to Muslims who believe that Allah, not Muhammad, founded their religion"
Tháng nhịn ăn ban ngày
Ramadan[ˌræməˈdæn] N → ramadán m
n → der Ramadan