rambutan(redirected from Rambutans)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Rambutans: Dragon fruit
1. A tree (Nephelium lappaceum) of Southeast Asia, bearing edible oval red fruit with soft spines.
2. The fruit of this tree, having juicy white flesh surrounding a single seed.
[Malay, from rambut, hair (from its hairy covering).]
1. (Plants) a sapindaceous tree, Nephelium lappaceum, native to SE Asia, that has bright red edible fruit
2. (Plants) the fruit of this tree
[C18: from Malay, from rambut hair]
1. the bright red, oval, edible fruit of a Malayan tree, Nephelium lappaceum, of the soapberry family, covered with soft spines or hairs and having a mildly acid taste.
2. the tree itself.
[1700–10; < Malay, =rambut hair + -an nominalizing suffix]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||rambutan - Malayan tree bearing spiny red fruit|
fruit tree - tree bearing edible fruit
|2.||rambutan - pleasantly acid bright red oval Malayan fruit covered with soft spines|
edible fruit - edible reproductive body of a seed plant especially one having sweet flesh