Red River(redirected from Red River of the South)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. or in China Yu·an Jiang (yo͞o-än′ jyäng′, yü-) and in Vietnam Hong Ha (hông′ hä′) or Song Hong (sông′ hông′) A river of southeast Asia rising in southern China and flowing about 1,175 km (730 mi) generally south through northern Vietnam to a fertile delta on the Gulf of Tonkin.
2. A river of the south-central United States rising in two branches in the Texas Panhandle and flowing about 2,100 km (1,300 mi) eastward along the Texas-Oklahoma border and into Arkansas, where it turns southward into Louisiana and then southeast to the Mississippi River.
3. also Red River of the North A river, about 880 km (540 mi) long, rising in the north-central United States and flowing north along the Minnesota-North Dakota border to Lake Winnipeg in Manitoba, Canada.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) Also called: Red River of the South a river in the S central US, flowing east from N Texas through Arkansas into the Mississippi in Louisiana. Length: 1639 km (1018 miles)
2. (Placename) a river in the northern US, flowing north as the border between North Dakota and Minnesota and into Lake Winnipeg, Canada. Length: 515 km (320 miles)
3. (Placename) a river in SE Asia, rising in SW China in Yunnan province and flowing southeast across N Vietnam to the Gulf of Tongkin: the chief river of N Vietnam, with an extensive delta. Length: 500 km (310 miles). Vietnamese name: Song Koi
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a river flowing E from NW Texas along the S boundary of Oklahoma into the Mississippi River in Louisiana. ab. 1300 mi. (2095 km) long.
2. Also called Red′ Riv′er of the North′. a river flowing N along the boundary between Minnesota and North Dakota to Lake Winnipeg in S Canada. 533 mi. (860 km) long.
3. Vietnamese, Song Hong. Chinese, Yuan Jiang. a river in SE Asia, flowing SE from Yunnan, China, through N Vietnam to the Gulf of Tonkin. 500 mi. (800 km) long.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Red River - a tributary of the Mississippi River that flows eastward from Texas along the southern boundary of Oklahoma and through Louisiana|
Louisiana, Pelican State, LA - a state in southern United States on the Gulf of Mexico; one of the Confederate states during the American Civil War
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.