redneck(redirected from Red-necks)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms.
n. Offensive Slang
1. Used as a disparaging term for a member of the white rural laboring class, especially in the southern United States.
2. A person regarded as having a provincial, conservative, often bigoted attitude.
1. (in the southwestern US) a poor uneducated White farm worker
2. a person or institution that is extremely reactionary
reactionary and bigoted: redneck laws.
usage: All the senses of this term are usually used with disparaging intent, implying negative stereotypical traits such as ignorance and bigotry.—
Informal: Usually Disparaging. n.
1. (a term used to refer to an uneducated white farm laborer, esp. from the South.)
2. (a term used to refer to a bigot or reactionary, esp. from the rural working class.)adj.
3. Also, red′-necked`. narrow, prejudiced, or reactionary.