redneck(redirected from Redneckistan)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
n. Offensive Slang
1. Used as a disparaging term for a member of the white rural laboring class, especially in the southern United States.
2. A person regarded as having a provincial, conservative, often bigoted attitude.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (in the southwestern US) a poor uneducated White farm worker
2. a person or institution that is extremely reactionary
reactionary and bigoted: redneck laws.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
usage: All the senses of this term are usually used with disparaging intent, implying negative stereotypical traits such as ignorance and bigotry.—
Informal: Usually Disparaging. n.
1. (a term used to refer to an uneducated white farm laborer, esp. from the South.)
2. (a term used to refer to a bigot or reactionary, esp. from the rural working class.)adj.
3. Also, red′-necked`. narrow, prejudiced, or reactionary.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
redneck[ˈrɛdnɛk] n (pejorative) (mainly US) → plouc m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005