refractory(redirected from Refractory ceramic)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Showing or characterized by obstinate resistance to authority or control: refractory children; refractory behavior.
2. Difficult to melt or work; resistant to heat: a refractory material such as silica.
3. Resistant to treatment: a refractory case of acne.
n. pl. re·frac·to·ries
One that is refractory, especially a material that has a high melting point.
[Alteration (influenced by adjectives in -ory) of obsolete refractary, from Latin refrāctārius, from refrāctus, past participle of refringere, to break up; see refract.]
1. unmanageable or obstinate
2. (Medicine) med not responding to treatment
3. (General Physics) (of a material) able to withstand high temperatures without fusion or decomposition
n, pl -ries
(Elements & Compounds) a material, such as fire clay or alumina, that is able to withstand high temperatures: used to line furnaces, kilns, etc
[C17: variant of obsolete refractary]
re•frac•to•ry(rɪˈfræk tə ri)
adj., n., pl. -ries. adj.
1. hard or impossible to manage; stubbornly disobedient: a refractory child.
2. resisting ordinary methods of treatment.
3. difficult to fuse, reduce, or work, as an ore or metal.n.
4. a material that retains its shape and composition even when heated to extreme temperatures.
5. refractories, bricks of various shapes used in lining furnaces.
[1600–10; variant of refractary < Latin refrāctārius stubborn]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||refractory - lining consisting of material with a high melting point; used to line the inside walls of a furnace|
fireclay - a heat-resistant clay
|Adj.||1.||refractory - not responding to treatment; "a stubborn infection"; "a refractory case of acne"; "stubborn rust stains"|
intractable - not tractable; difficult to manage or mold; "an intractable disposition"; "intractable pain"; "the most intractable issue of our era"; "intractable metal"
|2.||refractory - temporarily unresponsive or not fully responsive to nervous or sexual stimuli; "the refractory period of a muscle fiber"|
unresponsive - not responding to some influence or stimulus
|3.||refractory - stubbornly resistant to authority or control; "a fractious animal that would not submit to the harness"; "a refractory child"|
disobedient - not obeying or complying with commands of those in authority; "disobedient children"
refractory[rɪˈfrækt/ərɪ] adj (frm) → refrattario/a
1. resistente a un tratamiento;
2. que no responde a un estímulo.