remise(redirected from Remis)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms.
Related to Remis: remiss
1. (Law) (tr) law to give up or relinquish (a right, claim, etc); surrender
2. (Fencing) (tr) fencing to make a renewed thrust on the same lunge after the first has missed
3. (Fencing) fencing a second thrust made on the same lunge after the first has missed
4. (Historical Terms) obsolete a hired carriage
5. (Historical Terms) obsolete a coach house
[C17: from French remettre to put back, from Latin remittere to send back, from re- + mittere to send]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Past participle: remised
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||remise - an expensive or high-class hackney|
|2.||remise - a small building for housing coaches and carriages and other vehicles|
outbuilding - a building that is subordinate to and separate from a main building
|3.||remise - (fencing) a second thrust made on the same lunge (as when your opponent fails to riposte)|
fencing - the art or sport of fighting with swords (especially the use of foils or epees or sabres to score points under a set of rules)
knife thrust, stab, thrust - a strong blow with a knife or other sharp pointed instrument; "one strong stab to the heart killed him"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.