repeater(redirected from Repeaters)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. One that repeats: "[The] tourists are mainly repeaters from the United States and Canada who come for the peace and quiet" (James Kerr).
2. A watch or clock with a pressure-activated mechanism that strikes the hour.
3. A repeating firearm.
4. A device used to amplify digital or analog signals in order to strengthen them for retransmission, as on a computer network or in telephone or radio transmission.
5. A student who repeats a course, usually one that has been failed.
6. One who fraudulently votes more than once in a single election.
7. One who has been convicted of wrongdoing more than once, especially for the same offense.
1. a person or thing that repeats
2. (Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) Also called: repeating firearm a firearm capable of discharging several shots without reloading
3. (Horology) a timepiece having a mechanism enabling it to strike the hour or quarter-hour just past, when a spring is pressed
4. (Electrical Engineering) electrical engineering a device that amplifies or augments incoming electrical signals and retransmits them, thus compensating for transmission losses
5. (Nautical Terms) nautical Also called: substitute one of three signal flags hoisted with others to indicate that one of the top three is to be repeated
1. a person or thing that repeats.
2. a firearm that can discharge a number of shots without reloading.
3. a timepiece, esp. a watch, that can strike the hour or part of the hour.
4. a pupil who repeats a failed course.
5. a person who votes illegally by casting more than one vote in the same election.
6. a person who has been convicted and sentenced for more than one crime; recidivist.
7. a device that receives one- or two-way communications signals in order to amplify and retransmit them.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||repeater - a person who repeats; "the audience consisted largely of repeaters who had seen the movie many times"|
|2.||repeater - someone who is repeatedly arrested for criminal behavior (especially for the same criminal behavior)|
|3.||repeater - a firearm that can fire several rounds without reloading|
Mauser - trademark for a repeating rifle or pistol
|4.||repeater - (electronics) electronic device that amplifies a signal before transmitting it again; "repeaters can be used in computer networks to extend cabling distances"|
electronic device - a device that accomplishes its purpose electronically