public domain(redirected from Res communis)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to Res communis: Res nullius
1. Land owned and controlled by the state or federal government.
2. The condition of not being protected by a patent or copyright and therefore being available to the public for use without charge.
1. (Law) US lands owned by a state or by the federal government
2. (Law) the status of a published work or invention upon which the copyright or patent has expired or which has not been patented or subject to copyright. It may thus be freely used by the public
3. (Law) in the public domain able to be discussed and examined freely by the general public
1. the legal status of a work or invention whose copyright or patent has expired, or for which there never was such protection.
2. public land.