Reuben(redirected from Reubien)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
In the Bible, a son of Jacob and Leah and the forebear of one of the tribes of Israel.
A hot sandwich consisting of corned beef, Swiss cheese, and sauerkraut usually served on rye bread.
[From the name Reuben (probably that of its inventor (whose identity is not certain) ).]
nDouay spelling: Ruben
1. (Bible) the eldest son of Jacob and Leah: one of the 12 patriarchs of Israel (Genesis 29:30)
2. (Bible) the Israelite tribe descended from him
3. (Bible) the territory of this tribe, lying to the northeast of the Dead Sea
1. the eldest son of Jacob and Leah. Gen. 29, 30.
2. one of the 12 tribes of Israel, traditionally descended from him.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Reuben - (Old Testment) a son of Jacob and forefather of one of the tribes of Israel|
Old Testament - the collection of books comprising the sacred scripture of the Hebrews and recording their history as the chosen people; the first half of the Christian Bible
|2.||Reuben - a hot sandwich with corned beef and Swiss cheese and sauerkraut on rye bread|
sandwich - two (or more) slices of bread with a filling between them