revisionism(redirected from Revisonist)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. Advocacy of the revision of an accepted, usually long-standing view, theory, or doctrine, especially a revision of historical events and movements.
2. A recurrent tendency within the Communist movement to revise Marxist theory in such a way as to provide justification for a retreat from the revolutionary to the reformist position.
re·vi′sion·ist adj. & n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (sometimes capital)
a. a moderate, nonrevolutionary version of Marxism developed in Germany around 1900
b. (in Marxist-Leninist ideology) any dangerous departure from the true interpretation of Marx's teachings
2. the advocacy of revision of some political theory, religious doctrine, historical or critical interpretation, etc
3. (Judaism) (usually capital) an ultra-nationalist form of Zionism that arose in Palestine in the 1940s
reˈvisionist n, adj
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
re•vi•sion•ism(rɪˈvɪʒ əˌnɪz əm)
1. (among Communists) any departure from Marxist doctrine, theory, or practice, esp. the tendency to favor reform above revolutionary change.
2. advocacy of revision, esp. of some authoritative or generally accepted doctrine, theory, or practice.
re•vi′sion•ist, n., adj.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Marxism. any deviation from Marxist theory, doctrines, or practice, especially to modify revolution to evolution. — revisionist, n., adj.See also: Communism
a movement to reexamine historical information in the light of current knowledge. — revisionist, n., adj.See also: History
the advocacy of revision, especially in relation to court decisions. — revisionist, n. — revisionary, adj.See also: Law
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||revisionism - any dangerous departure from the teachings of Marx|
|2.||revisionism - a moderate evolutionary form of Marxism|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
revisionism[rɪˈvɪʒənɪzəm] N → revisionismo m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n → Revisionismus m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
revisionism[rɪˈvɪʒəˌnɪzəm] n (Pol) → revisionismo
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995